A teenager “bragged” that he had “sliced up” another man after stabbing his victim to death in a fight in Bournemouth town centre, a court has heard. Thomas Betteridge, who is now aged 20, is on trial at Bournemouth Crown Court charged with the manslaughter of Cameron Hamilton.
The 18-year-old suffered fatal stab wounds to the chest in the incident in The Square in the Dorset seaside resort in the early hours of August 5, 2023. A court has heard that an 18-year-old man boasted he had “sliced up” a teenager he stabbed to death during a fight in Bournemouth town centre.
Thomas Betteridge, now 20, is standing trial at Bournemouth Crown Court accused of the manslaughter of Cameron Hamilton.
The 18-year-old victim sustained fatal stab wounds to the chest in the early hours of August 5, 2023, in The Square of the Dorset seaside town.
Betteridge also faces a charge of possessing a kitchen knife.
Prosecutor John Price KC informed the jury that Mr Hamilton pushed Betteridge into a bush before the defendant stabbed him.
The prosecutor added that the defendant fled the scene, abandoning a trainer and accompanied by another teenager.
A witness reportedly overheard Betteridge saying: “I sliced him up, I sliced him up,” delivered “almost in a boastful and proud manner” while “laughing a little bit.”
The second teenager reportedly responded with a “childish giggle.”
Mr Price stated that Betteridge then swapped his top and trainers with friends nearby before police intervened.
He described Betteridge showing “righteous indignation” during the stop and search, filming the officers on his phone and later posting the video to Instagram.
The prosecutor noted the defendant’s claim of acting in self-defence, describing it as something he regretted but “had to do” believing it necessary for his protection.
He continued: “The defence maintains this was a lawful act by Thomas Betteridge, a lawful killing in self-defence.
“It should be observed that the immediate action Mr Betteridge took after the killing was to boast about it, and within less than three minutes, he attempted to alter his appearance.”
Betteridge, from Southsea, Hampshire, denies the charges and the trial is ongoing. He is also charged with possessing a kitchen knife.
John Price KC, prosecuting, told the jury that during the incident, Betteridge had been pushed into a bush by Mr Hamilton before the defendant then stabbed him.
He said the defendant then ran away, leaving a trainer behind at the scene, along with a second teenager.
The prosecutor said that Betteridge was heard by a witness to say: “I sliced him up, I sliced him up” and added that he had spoken the words “almost in a boastful and proud manner” and said that he was “laughing a little bit”.
He said that the second teenager also “let out a childish giggle”.
Mr Price said that Betteridge then changed top and trainers with friends at the scene before he was stopped by police.
He said that Betteridge expressed “righteous indignation” at being stopped and searched by police, and filmed the officers using his mobile phone before posting the video on Instagram.
Mr Price said the defendant claims that he acted in self-defence during the fatal incident, and states it was something he regretted but “had to do as he believed it to be necessary to defend himself”.
He added: “The defence case is this was a lawful act by Thomas Betteridge, a lawful killing done in self-defence.
“It’s to be noted that the first thing that Mr Betteridge had done after the killing was to brag about it and the next thing he did in less than three minutes was to try and change his appearance.”
Betteridge, of Southsea, Hampshire, denies the charges and the trial continues.
