
The security guard killed in the shooting has been hailed a ‘hero’ (Image: Getty)
A “heroic” security guard who lost his life in a devastating attack has been hailed for “saving lives” after two teenage gunmen opened fire at a mosque in San Diego.
The security guard was one of three people killed during the shooting at The Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, May 18.
The two alleged teenage gunmen, identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, were discovered dead in a vehicle with self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to authorities.
Police believe the guard “played a pivotal role” in preventing the attack from being “much worse”.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl stated: “It’s fair to say his actions were heroic.”

People gather near the scene of the horrific shooting (Image: Getty)
“Undoubtedly, he saved lives today,” the police chief added.
The identity of the guard, along with those of the other victims, is yet to be made public.
The attack is currently being investigated as a hate crime.
Images from the scene reveal a significant police presence outside the mosque, with families fleeing the surrounding area.
Mr Wahl revealed that officers had spoken with the mother of one of the teenagers earlier that day, after she contacted police at around 9.40am local time to report her son missing, along with several weapons and her vehicle.
“She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could,” Mr Wahl said.
He further disclosed that the mother had also discovered a note containing “hate rhetoric”.
The contents have not been disclosed, though authorities confirmed there was no specific threat against the Islamic Centre of San Diego.
The centre is the largest mosque in San Diego County and houses the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students aged five and above, according to its website.
Mr Wahl stated that following reports of an active shooter, police arrived within four minutes of receiving the call.

Scott Wahl said the guard stopped the situation from being ‘a lot worse’ (Image: Getty)
As officers reached the scene, gunshots were heard a few blocks away, where a landscaper was fired upon but escaped unharmed.
The gunmen were subsequently discovered dead inside a vehicle that had come to a halt in the middle of a nearby road.
The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane, described it as “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship”.
“All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he said.
