Man Utd need five signings whether or not Ruben Amorim is sacked | Football | Sport

There is fresh speculation about Ruben Amorim‘s Manchester United future with tensions rising behind the scenes at Old Trafford. Amorim is clearly in disagreement with his superiors about the January transfer window and said on Sunday: “I came here to be the manager of Manchester United, not to be the coach of Manchester United and that is clear.”

The Portuguese coach also told club’s recruitment staff and sporting director Jason Wilcox to “do their jobs”. It comes after he made clear his frustrations that he is unlikely to get any new signings this month while speaking in his pre-match press conference before the draw at Leeds United. But regardless of whether or not Amorim survives after his calls for greater power, United need to make five signings in 2026 whether this month or in the summer. Express Sport names where they must strengthen…

Two midfielders

One of the biggest issues facing United, whether they play with a back three or a back four, is the midfield. Casemiro has improved since pundit Jamie Carragher famously declared on Sky Sports in May 2024 that “the football has left him”. But the Brazilian is out of contract this summer and should move on.

Manuel Ugarte is another likely to be sold and Kobbie Mainoo is out of favour under Amorim. Ideally, if Amorim is to leave, it’s before Mainoo departs. A new manager can then rescue his Red Devils career. But with Casemiro and Ugarte necessary casualties and Bruno Fernandes‘ defensive IQ a source of debate, United need a minimum of two central midfielders this year.

Elliot Anderson, Adam Wharton and Carlos Baleba are dream targets. One of them plus another – one of Joao Gomes, Conor Gallagher, Andre, Morten Hjulmand or Angelo Stiller perhaps – would really help improve United in central areas. Ayyoub Bouaddi is also an exciting wonderkid but at just 18 would require plenty of patience.

A centre-back

Despite having Matthijs de Ligt, Leny Yoro, Lisandro Martinez and Ayden Heaven, the latter is still developing and the first three have had regular injuries issues the past few seasons. And with Harry Maguire out of contract this summer, recruiting another centre-back would be a big help.

United are aiming to qualify for Europe and if they do, having four high-level centre-backs with Heaven for back-up would be handy. Rennes’ 20-year-old French gem Jeremy Jacquet has the quality to be a long-term partner for Yoro at club level and international level and has been scouted by United.

A right wing-back

Diogo Dalot, Noussair Mazraoui and Amad are fine as right wing-backs. Patrick Dorgu impressed in a right-sided role against Newcastle. But signing an elite-level player to dovetail with Bryan Mbeumo could really help take United’s team up another level.

They have looked at the likes of Omar El Hilali, Nahuel Molina and Jon Aramburu as candidates previously. Daniel Munoz of Crystal Palace would be a perfect addition but the Colombian turns 30 this May and it would take a big fee to get him out of Selhurst Park.

An attacker

Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha have started well at United. They are immediately two of United’s best post-Sir Alex Ferguson signings. Benjamin Sesko, however, has started more slowly and might need more support in attack.

Rasmus Hojlund should leave permanently this summer and Joshua Zirkzee is another whose time at United looks to be coming to an end in 2026. The question is whether United sign another centre-forward to compete with Sesko, such as Jean-Philippe Mateta also of Palace, or another winger. RB Leipzig’s Yan Diomande would be a coup, with the idea of Cunha then being the No.9 competition for Sesko.

Source link