Nigel Farage issues horrifying WW3 warning to British Army | Politics | News

The UK and France have committed to training Ukrainian troops and protecting stocks of weaponry in a joint agreement, signed in Paris on Tuesday. Defence Secretary John Healey pledged to “make 2026 the year that peace is not only possible, but the year that peace is achieved” in an emergency statement later on Wednesday.

During the session in the Commons, Conservative MP and former British Army Officer Ben Obese-Jecty said: “The presence of boots on the ground in Ukraine was a red line for Putin, and I worry that this potentially might be a stick that he beats us with in order to push back on any peace deal.”

Mr Healey replied: “The nature of any negotiations is always that declared initial positions get tested, and if a successful process of peace negotiations is secured, then we want to be ready, and we are ensuring that we are ready to play a role in securing that peace for the long-term through the multinational force for Ukraine.”

Mr Farage’s concerns over the state of the British Army’s operational readiness come as the government were forced to defend their approach to defence after Starmer was warned by the country’s top military chief of a £28 billion shortfall in the Ministry of Defence (MoD) budget.

Air Chief Marshal Sir Richard Knighton reportedly told the Prime Minister that an MoD assessment last year showed a £28 billion shortfall between now and 2030. The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said the Government has recognised that “demands on defence are rising” and acted accordingly.

The Chancellor and Defence Secretary were also at the meeting with the military chief in the run up to Christmas, as first reported by The Times and The Sun newspapers. News of the MoD black hole is thought to have prompted Sir Keir to order an overhaul of the defence investment plan (Dip), which has been delayed after first being expected in the autumn.

The Dip will set out how the strategic defence review is to be delivered.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman would not comment directly on the meeting, but told reporters: “We recognise demands on defence are rising, with growing Russian aggression, increasing operational requirements and preparations for a Ukraine deployment.

“That is why the Government has acted. The UK defence budget is rising to record levels as this Government delivers the biggest boost to defence spending since the Cold War, totalling £270 billion in this Parliament alone.”

The spokesman was asked repeatedly if the reported £28 billion shortfall was an official figure, and did not deny that it was.

Source link