Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s potential return to the Manchester United dugout could be excellent news for the club’s emerging players. The Norwegian, who steered United to third and second-place finishes during his three-year tenure, is a leading contender to take charge until the end of the season following the sacking of Ruben Amorim.
Both Solskjaer and another Old Trafford favourite, Michael Carrick, who was sacked by Middlesbrough during the summer, are believed to have been approached. Despite his stint concluding with the axe after a dismal start to the 2021/22 campaign, Solskjaer’s period in charge is now regarded more favourably, particularly given United’s subsequent tribulations. An underappreciated aspect of his management was his readiness to promote youth, something Amorim appeared hesitant to embrace.
Marcus Rashford and Scott McTominay both accumulated over 100 appearances under him, while numerous other academy graduates reached half a century of outings. In total, Solskjaer gave 16 youngsters their debuts at Old Trafford.
This approach garnered acclaim from Sir Alex Ferguson, a legendary nurturer of young talent. Discussing Solskjaer in early 2021, Ferguson told the BBC: “If you don’t get results, there’s questions to be asked. He is getting the results, he really has done very well.
“And what is really important for this club is to introduce young people, and he’s given young players a chance. The young guys, if they are good enough, play them. Never a problem at this club.”
It would be intriguing to hear Ferguson’s views on Amorim’s approach to young players, especially after the Portuguese coach publicly criticised some for being overpaid and entitled before his dismissal.
He said last month: “They feel entitlement and then they have legends of the club saying, ‘If you don’t play, then leave.’ No, let’s stay and fight and overcome. We have to fight against this feeling.”
Amorim evidently lacked faith in Kobbie Mainoo, implying that the midfielder hadn’t impressed in training or his limited match appearances to secure a regular spot in the team. He said: “In the end, it’s going to be the training, the games. Of course, he’s not playing so many games, but Kobbie has had opportunities, especially last year. Everyone has.”
He was also critical of less-established youngsters like Harry Amass, stating he was “struggling in the Championship” while on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and highlighting Toby Collyer’s lack of game time at West Brom. Meanwhile, Amorim justified his decision not to give promising attacker Chido Obi a chance by emphasising that he wasn’t a regular starter for the under-21s.
Whether Amorim was correct in his assessments is a matter of debate. But his public airing of concerns about the club’s young talent presumably didn’t sit well with the club’s hierarchy, who have decided a change of head coach was needed.
Under-18s boss Darren Fletcher will take charge of the team at Burnley on Wednesday and possibly against Brighton in the FA Cup on Sunday.
