Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor under fire as he refuses to give up honour | Royal | News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has caused yet another controversy by failing to surrender a major honour. The former-prince has been censured after he refused to surrender his freedom of the City of London, even though he was asked to.

The City of London Corporation passed a formal expression of disapproval against Andrew on Thursday. Andrew has failed to respond to the letter, which asked him to relinquish his freedom of the city.

The City Corporation’s court of common council stated that his association with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein was considered “wholly unacceptable and inconsistent” with the status and obligations of a Freeman of the City of London, reports The Independent.

In its motion of censure, the court said there was “profound disappointment” Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor had “not surrendered his freedom despite being asked to do so”.

The City Corporation’s highest decision-making body said it lacked the power to remove Andrew’s freedom because the honour was hereditary, reports The Telegraph.

Andrew received the honour in 2012 “by virtue of patrimony”, because his father, Prince Philip, had been a freeman.

In March, the corporation said it could not strip Andrew of the honour for this reason.

However, the court said it had instructed officers to commence proceedings to enable it to “lawfully remove the freedom of the City from Andrew”.

In its full motion, the court said: “The court of Common Council notes with the utmost dismay Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s association with the convicted paedophile, the late Jeffrey Epstein, and his accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell.

“Whilst it recognises that Mr Mountbatten-Windsor maintains that he has done nothing wrong, it nevertheless considers that his well-publicised association with Epstein is wholly unacceptable and inconsistent with his status and obligations as a freeman of the City of London.

“In the circumstances, and in solidarity with Epstein’s victims and survivors, the court wishes to remove Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s freedom consistent with decisions already taken by His Majesty the King and other military and civil bodies to strip him of his offices and honours.”

Andrew was arrested in February, on his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office following allegations he shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

He was stripped by the King of both his right to be a prince and his dukedom late last year over his association with Epstein.

Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. The City Corporation said its thoughts “remain firmly with the victims and survivors of Jeffrey Epstein and all victims of sexual abuse and exploitation”.

Source link