Man United on brink of first summer transfer as two more deals planned | Football | Sport

Manchester United could be set to secure Ederson as their first acquisition of the summer transfer window, having made significant headway in negotiations with Serie A outfit Atalanta. The 26-year-old was an unused substitute during his side’s draw with Fiorentina on Friday evening, and following the match, Atalanta manager Raffaele Palladino confirmed the midfielder was edging closer to an exit.

“It was a decision we agreed with the boy because there’s something going on in the transfer market,” he said. “The fact that such a player is being followed by such a big club should be a source of pride.” It is understood that the club Palladino was referring to is United, with a deal between the two sides now thought to be nearing completion.

Ederson had previously attracted interest from Atletico Madrid, though they subsequently shifted their focus towards Wolves midfielder Joao Gomes.

A transfer fee of around £40million is expected to be sufficient to secure a player who has just one year remaining on his contract, particularly given that Atalanta look likely to miss out on European football next season.

Ederson has earned three caps for Brazil but failed to secure a place in their World Cup squad this summer. He has featured in 41 appearances across all competitions for Atalanta this season, chipping in with three goals and two assists.

United have previously kept tabs on him during his four-year spell at Atalanta and are now ready to make their move as part of a wholesale midfield shake-up this summer.

However, United face stiff competition from local rivals Manchester City for Anderson’s signature. Since his move to Forest from Newcastle in the summer of 2024, the 23-year-old has cemented his reputation as one of the finest young midfielders in the Premier League.

When quizzed on whether the England international would remain at the City Ground, Forest manager Vitor Pereira admitted last weekend that he was uncertain.

The Portuguese said: “This is an answer that I don’t have. The market is the market, everything can happen. What I can say to you is the club wants to keep him playing for us for sure.

“The club wants to keep the players. This is a very good group with quality, with character and we are in a very good place for the next season.”

Source link